So we Toasty Avo gals like to eat...a LOT. A lot a lot. Whether we're training for an Ironman (whaddup Kristine), working with kids on the beach and surfing all day long (holla Kels), sailling or SUPing on the open ocean (yo Ari), or Crossfitting and trying to keep up with my awesome gal pals (lil ol' me)...we need good food to fuel our activities. And a lot of it.
Too bad fueling yourself the right way isn't really that cost-effective. Grassfed meat is three times as expensive as regular meat! Avocados aren't a dime a dozen, even in beautiful SoCal. And those fancy extras like hemp seeds and cacao powder - it's either the seeds or you pay rent, pick one.
Luckily, Kels recently filled me in on this awesome online store, Thrive Market. It offers organic and natural products at wholesale prices - generally 25-50% off retail prices! What a steal. They carry non-perishable food items, beauty products, household items, supplements, and deliver directly to your door.
I was beyond impressed with the service. First, they carry all the funky items I have trouble finding in stores, and at even lower prices than Amazon - impossible right? Nope. Real life. AND, here's the best part, in my humble opinion - you can search for items based on your diet. Paleo, raw, gluten free, vegan, they've got you covered.
Here's what I picked up on my first order:
1. Purity Farms Organic Ghee: An awesome dairy-free alternative to butter! This brand uses butter from grass-fed cows.
2. Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrosylate: I prefer the hydrosylate versus normal gelatin, as it dissolves into hot and cold liquids. Perfect for dumping into your smoothies, coffee, tea, even just water for a gut-healing boost.
3. Chlorofresh Liquid Chlorophyll: Post coming soon about this awesome little liquid. It works as a natural internal deodorant. Nature is so nuts sometimes.
4. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar: This stuff is so multi-purpose I can't even write down all of its uses here. That might need to be a separate post. I use this to make salad dressings (I like 'em tangy), in water to soothe an upset tummy or a sore throat, as a cleaning agent, mixed with clay as a face mask, in a spritz bottle as a toner...etc. etc.
5. Aloe Vera Juice: Another great gut-healer. I like to add to smoothies or fresh juice. Or plain ol' water, when I'm lazy.
6. Traditional Medicinals Ginger Aid: Man, this tea is awesome. Ginger is awesome. This BRAND is awesome. Ginger is so wonderful for soothing the gut (can you see a theme with my purchases?) and has a nice spicy kick. I love drinking herbal teas, and this is by far my favorite flavor.
7. EPIC Bison Bars: Don't be weirded out by these. They're basically just jerky in bar form - with added extras, like nuts and dried fruit. I love having these stowed in my purse for days when I'm super busy AND super hungry, and don't have any good food options around. Plus - they're paleo!
8. Green Pastures Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil Capsules: So, I have a lot of issues with most "fish oil" supplements. In short, they're sketchy, and aren't providing you with much nutrition. This brand provides the highest quality oil, with the purest forms of Omega-3s and vitamin D. It's pricier than most fish oils, but it's 100% worth it.
9. Once Again Sunflower Seed Butter: I am allergic to nuts, and peanuts aren't paleo (why, world...why), so seed butters are the perfect alternative!
10. Olive Leaf Extract: So this was an impulse buy. I read somewhere it's helpful in detoxing from all sorts of stuff. Might have been a waste of money, but we shall see!
All of that, for less than $100! That's a pretty darn good deal.
The only downside: you have to purchase a membership (annual fee of $59.95). Womp womp. You get a 30-day free trial, so I recommend hopping over to their site and ordering weird stuff to heart's content for 30 days straight! I mean, how can you pass up those prices?
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Thrive Market in any way. All the above comments are my own.